Determining Who Should File a Tax Return

Many people instinctively file their tax returns, which is great, because most people are required to file. However, some people aren't required to file, though it may be beneficial to them to do so. If you are filing a tax return, you'll want to pay attention to some new rules taking effect this year. Use the following tips to determine if you need to file a tax return.

When to File

The general rule for who is required to file a tax return changes based on income amount, , and . If you're a 28 year old single taxpayer with an income of $10,150 or more you are required to file a return. There are additional rules for those who are or are qualifying dependents of other taxpayers. You have to look at all factors when determining whether you have to file a return.

This year, the premium tax credit is in effect for anyone who purchased health care through the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you chose to apply the tax credit to your monthly to offset the cost when you purchased your coverage, you'll have to file a return. You'll receive Form , the Health Insurance Marketplace Statement by the beginning of February, which will have all the information you need to reconcile your advance premium tax credit and file your return.

You will also need to file a return if your withhold federal tax from your pay or you made estimated tax payments. If you overpaid last year's tax and applied it this year, you could be entitled to a . You'll have to file a return in these cases.

Taxpayers who earned less than $52,427 last year may be eligible to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit worth up to $6,143. In these cases, you'll want to file a tax return in order to claim the credit, s you may qualify with or without a qualifying child.

Those who file a return and have a child that qualifies for the Child Tax Credit, but don't receive the full amount of the credit may be eligible to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit.

One final credit that may make you consider filing a return is the American Opportunity Credit. This credit can be worth up to $2,500 per eligible enrolled in post-secondary education. Whether you are claiming it for yourself or a , they have to have been enrolled at least half time for a full academic period. You're not required to owe to claim this credit, but you do have to fill out Form 8863, Education Credits, and file a tax return in order to claim it.