Tag Archives: 1099-C

Different Types of 1099 Forms

There are many different Form-1099s that you may encounter when tax season rolls around. Some of the most common include: 1099-A: If your mortgage lender cancels some or all your mortgage, or your home was sold in a short sale, you’ll likely receive a 1099-A. Because the IRS considers canceled debt to be equivalent to […]

Cancelled Debt Can Be Considered Income

Sometimes, those you owe money to may consider the debt forgiven, and cancel the remaining balance. In these situations, you’ll likely still have to pay tax on the amount forgiven, as the IRS considers the balance to be a form of income. You’ll be responsible for paying income tax on the cancelled debt. Debt is […]