Monthly Archives: May 2015

Individuals who have a gross income of more than $2,500 while living in the state of Idaho, or nonresidents who gross more than that amount from sources within the state, are required to file an Idaho income tax return. Nonresidents are required to file when they have earned over $2,500 in taxable income within the […]

California Non-Residents

In California, anyone who is not a resident of the state is considered a nonresident for tax purposes. Part year residency refers to a person who resided in California for part of the year, and remained a nonresident for the remainder of the year. Nonresidents of California are taxed according to income tax regulations on […]

Colorado Non-Residents

Who Qualifies as a Colorado Part-Year Resident? An individual who resides in Colorado for a portion of the tax year is considered a part-year resident of the state. Part-year residency status includes individuals who have entered the state during the year with the intent of establishing domicile, or one who leaves the state in order […]

Arizona Non-Residents

If you earn any income from a source originating in Arizona, it will be taxed according to the state’s income tax regulations. Even if you don’t live in Arizona, or you are in the state temporarily, you are still responsible for Arizona state income tax. Income includes wages, rental income, business profits, real estate sales […]

If your job or business requires you to use your own personal car, you may be able to deduct the entire operation costs up to certain limits. If the car is used for both business and personal use, however, you can only deduct costs relating to the business use. Generally, the amount of deduction is […]

In order to deduct qualifying expenses as miscellaneous itemized deductions, they have to exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income. There are generally three different costs that fall under miscellaneous deductions, and therefore are subject to the 2% limitation: unreimbursed employee expenses, tax preparation costs, and certain other expenses. There are some unreimbursed employee expenses […]

Using Your Home for Business

Regardless of if you are self-employed or an employee of another business, if you use any part of your home for conducting business, you may be able to deduct certain expenses. Your home must be used in one of the following ways: Exclusively, and on a regular basis as your primary place of business A […]

If you pay education expenses and qualified tuition for either yourself, a spouse, or another dependent, you may qualify for a deduction of your costs. You may be able to claim different deductions by using your tuition and fees instead of taking them as a direct deduction. Consider the following: The American Opportunity Tax Credit […]

Eligible educators can deduct up to $250 ($500 if married, joint filers are both educators) for any related expenses they incur which are not reimbursed by any party. Similar to trade or business expenses, qualifying educator expenses may include things like books, supplies, technology, equipment and supplemental material you may need within the class. If […]

Interest is usually charged on money you borrowed. There are certain situations where interest can be claimed either as a deduction or a credit. In order to deduct interest, you have to make sure it qualifies and see how you should deduct it. Interest that you have prepaid need to be deducted throughout the tax […]