Tax Deductions For Administrative Assistants

Working as an administrative assistant means you have be organized. The same is true at tax time. Administrative assistants can expect to receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from their employer which documents wages earned and taxes withheld.

When filing your tax return, you may be able to lower the amount you owe in taxes by claiming deductions of unreimbursed job related expenses such as:

  • Professional association dues
  • Equipment or supplies related to your job that are replaceable within the year
  • State or local regulatory fees, licensing, or flat rate occupational taxes, as long as they aren’t paid for the first certification
  • Publication or journal subscription fees for those articles relating to your employment

As always, you’ll need to keep receipts to document your expenses and serve as proof in case of an audit.

If you are in school, you may be eligible for either the Lifetime Learning Credit or American Opportunity Credit, provided you attend a college, university or trade school. If you are within the first four years of school and are working toward a degree or certificate, and you attend more than half-time, you may be able to claim the American Opportunity Credit. The Lifetime Learning Credit is similar, however there are no limits on degree program, enrollment status, or the length of time you’ve been in school.

If you do not qualify for the above tax credits, you may be able to deduct education expenses relating to your employment, provided they meet certain requirements. Generally, refresher courses, vocational classes, and courses on new developments in your field can be deductions. Classes that are used for the minimum education to meet job requirements, or those that qualify you for a new field of employment are non-deductible.