Earned Income Tax Credit: Rule 3

In order to claim the Earned () as a , you generally are required to file a . Therefore, you can’t use the “, filing separately” status if you want to claim the EITC.

In some cases, your may have lived separately from you for the final six months of the year, which can qualify you to use the . In this situation, you may be eligible to claim the EITC. It’s important that your spouse was not occupying your at any point during the last six months of the tax year.

For more information on how to qualify for Head of Household filing status, contact your tax preparer or financial assistant, who can also point you in the right direction for determining your EITC eligibility.