Where to Report Schedule K-1 on Form 1040

To report the income or loss from a Form K-1 depends on whether the business had a gain or loss, and whether or not the earnings were derived from passive investment or active participation in the company. In most cases, ordinary pass-through income (or loss) from a partnership, LLC or S corporation goes on Schedule E, Line 28. However, if the earnings were paid in the form of dividends or interest, then you report them on Schedule B. Capital gains or losses are reported on Schedule D.