Tax Credit - Caring for Older Parents

If you paid another person to care for your parents while you worked or looked for work, you may be eligible to claim the child and dependent care credit. Mom or Dad must be physically or mentally incapable of self-care.

You (and, if you’re married, your spouse), must earn income during the year to take the credit. You must also be able to claim your parents as dependents. If you qualify, you can claim up to 35% of the expenses you paid toward one parent’s care up to a maximum of $3,000 in expenses. The limit is $6,000 if you paid dependent care expenses for both parents.