New York Nonresident and Connecticut Resident

If you live in Connecticut, but you are employed in New York, you’ll file a Connecticut resident return, which taxes ALL your income. You’ll also have to file a nonresident return for New York , paying taxes on the income you earned in New York.

While it may seem like you are paying taxes on the same income twice, you’re given the ability to claim a credit on Connecticut schedule 2 for the taxes paid to New York.