New Jersey Nonresident and Connecticut Resident

If you live in Connecticut, but you are employed in New Jersey, you’ll file a Connecticut resident return, which taxes ALL your income. You’ll also have to file a nonresident return for New Jersey, paying taxes on the income you earned in New Jersey.

While it may seem like you are paying taxes on the same income twice, you’re given the ability to claim a credit on Connecticut schedule 2 for the taxes paid to New Jersey.