Lost Tax Refund Check

If you lost your tax refund check, you should initiate a refund trace.

Call IRS at 800-829-1954 and either use the automated system or speak with an agent.

However, if you filed a married filing jointly return, you can’t initiate a trace using the automated systems. Download and complete the Form 3911 to get the replacement process started.

Your claim for a missing refund is processed one of two ways:

If the check wasn't cashed, you'll receive a replacement check once the original check is canceled.

If the refund check was cashed, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. Follow the instructions for completing the claim package. BFS will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether they can issue you a replacement check. The BFS review can take up to six weeks to complete.