How to Report Capital Gain or Loss

Personal or investment property that you own is typically considered a "capital asset". Examples range from material items like a house or car, to investment items like stocks and bonds. A capital gain or loss occurs when a "capital asset" is sold.

Capital gain or loss depends on the amount you receive for the asset versus what you paid for it originally.

Any capital gains must be factored into your annual income.

Capital loss is deductible as the result of investment property sale, however, not from personal property.