Filing Tax Returns In Two States

At tax time, determining your resident status might be confusing. Aside from being a full year resident of the state in which you live, there are two other statuses that you may fall under: Part-Year resident and nonresident. A part-year resident has only spent a portion of the tax year within the state, while a nonresident has not physically resided within the state.

If you moved into the state for temporary purpose and you did not establish a residence or perform any processes that would allude to residency then you may file as a nonresident. Such actions that document residency intentions include registering to vote or getting a driver's license. Nonresidents move into the state with zero intention of establishing a permanent home or residence.

Employees who work on a short term project in one state but live in another and return to their home state of completion of the project are one example of a temporary move.

Some states have a specific time period for which one spends within the state, before they are automatically considered a resident. You may be required to have a permanent residence within another state.

Regardless of whether you are nonresident or part year resident, you'll likely have to pay taxes on any income you earned in state. Military personnel may be subject to special rules.