Education Credit without 1098-T

If you did not receive a Form 1098-T because tuition was paid entirely with scholarships or financial aid, you can still claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit. Be sure to keep records that show you were enrolled at an eligible educational institution and the amount of paid for qualified related expenses. Qualifying educational expenses include course materials, such as books, lab supplies, software, and other class materials if they are required by the school for enrollment in a course.

You may need to send copies of receipts if the IRS contacts you regarding your claim for the credit.