Connecticut Nonresident and New York Resident

If you live in New York, but you are employed in Connecticut, you’ll file a New York resident return, which taxes ALL your income. You’ll also have to file a nonresident return for Connecticut, paying taxes on the income you earned in Connecticut.

While it may seem like you are paying taxes on the same income twice, you’re given the ability to claim a credit on New York schedule IT-112-R for the taxes paid to Connecticut.