Connecticut Nonresident and New Jersey Resident

If you live in New Jersey, but you are employed in Connecticut, you’ll file a New Jersey resident return, which taxes ALL your income. You’ll also have to file a nonresident return for Connecticut, paying taxes on the income you earned in Connecticut.

While it may seem like you are paying taxes on the same income twice, you’re given the ability to claim a credit on New Jersey schedule NJ-COJ for the taxes paid to Connecticut.