How do I deduct and substantiate my gambling losses?

You can deduct gambling losses only if you itemize deductions. Claim your gambling losses as a miscellaneous deduction on Schedule A, Form 1040. However, the amount of losses you deduct cannot total more than the amount of gambling income you have reported on your return. It is important to keep an accurate diary or similar record of your gambling winnings and losses.